Online Marketing for Business Web Sites: What every website needs
© 2011 Virginia Lawrence, Ph.D.
As soon as we establish a Web site, we register with the most
important search engines and directories. Many companies then move on
to the next project, considering the site's online marketing to be
complete. But search engine registration is only the foundation of a
good marketing plan. Successful companies build a good foundation and
use that foundation to establish their online marketing program. The
following eight steps are crucial. The experts at CogniText can carry out the entire program for you.
- Search Engine Optimization. (SEO) When carrying out SEO, we prepare the Web site pages so that every
viewer can understand the goal of the site and so that each page tells the search engines the topic of the page. The non-visible Meta
tags on each page must be written to tell Google and the other search engines what the site is all about. In addition, Google requires the most important keywords for each page to be actually used in text on the page, and Google responds well to text links leading to an important page.
- Site registration. Register a new website with the critical top ten
search engines and directories, being careful to choose the most
appropriate categories for the site. Register the site with another batch of specialized directories to obtain wider coverage and important incoming links.
- Local Online Marketing. For any website offering services to the local community, specific local online marketinbg is vital. Local marketing starts with a customized Google Places listing and, depending on the site, can also include Yelp, YellowPages, UrbanSpoon, InTheMo, and other sites specializing in local listings.
- Social Media Marketing (SMM). Initiate and run SMM utilizing LinkedIn, a blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube Channel, etc. can make a huge difference in traffic to a website and to leads from the site. For more information on Social Media Marketing, please see an outline of a recent presentation to Let's Do Business.
- Strategic linking. Research specialized directories and
complementary sites, then request the site owners to add a link to
the site. The number of links leading to a site has always been
important. Now some of the most influential search engines are using
the number of inbound links as a measure of the importance of a
site. Strategic linking is a marketing activity which should be
ongoing for the life of the site.
- Traffic measurement. Monitor the site logs to determine whether
the traffic is increasing, decreasing, or remaining stable. We want
to keep the traffic increasing or stable at a reasonably high rate. Google Analytics is an excellent tool for tracking and evaluating website traffic.
- Site rank evaluation. Audit the site's standing in the most
important search engines. The search engines change their selection
algorithms frequently, and they are constantly indexing new web sites, so a site's standing can change from day to day. If
we find that our ranking is not high enough, we research the
difference between our site and any competing sites which rank above
ours. We find a legitimate way to improve our key words or
description, then we optimize the site specifically for that search engine to increase the site's
- Referrer review. Review the list of referring sites in the site's Google Analytics reports. If we find that we never receive visitors who searched on
one particular search engine in the top ten, we optimize the site specifically for that search engine to increase the site's
A few marketers have stated that we should re-register every week,
and that sounds like a nice easy solution. However, most search
engines consider repetitive registration of unchanged sites to be
spamming, and weekly registration can get our sites banned from a
search engine, particularly Google. There is automated software for submitting websites to search engines, but that software stopped being effective 7 years ago. Presently, there is no automated solution to attaining and
keeping a good ranking in the search engines. The sensible solution to online marketing
takes time and attention: attention to site design, Meta tags, website page text, incoming links,
traffic, referrer logs, and search engine standings.
Read more informative articles by the expert
on Web Marketing and Internet Business.